In local news, I'm even greater than I thought I was!
I have set up a WoW private server on the House of Stout LAN at our place. It runs TBC with the most recent patch (2.1.3). It seems to run well, and I haven't found any huge bugs with it (I was able to fix the problem with no quests showing up). It took me about 5 or 6 hours to get everything set up, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I have full control over the database in theory, but I don't really know my way around it yet. There is a config file that comes with the program I'm running that lets me change a few things, such as:
1. Changed all kill and quest exp to give 1.5x as much
2. Exploration exp gives 5x more (no more lousy exploration exp yay)
3. Drop rates for items and gold are 2x
4. It is a PvP server, but you should be able to make characters of both faction
5. Horde and Alliance can talk to each other, and MAY be able to join the same guild (not sure yet)
6. Reputation gains are increased to 5x as much (Screw you furbolgs!)
7. Haven't tested the mail system yet, but items sent in mail should take 1 sec instead of an hour
There have been some small issues, such as Tass's imp going HOSS on enemies instead of using fireballs (imp melee attack, wtf?), and level 1 and 2 enemies doing drastically reduced damage, but aside from that everything looks fine.
I plan on setting the server up so that people outside the LAN can connect to it before too long, and it doesn't look like that should be too hard. The only other issue is that my computer has tended to freeze while playing WoW in the past, and if it does that now, the whole server goes down (since I'm running the server on my desktop). So, I might try to scavenge together a computer to run the server, Tass says he has some stuff lying around. It doesn't have to be too great, but I want to make sure it does suck too bad.
I'll let everyone know when I get it on the Internet, I imagine that there will be people that want to connect from outside our house (Brian, Dave, maybe Sean and Vlad sometime), let me know of you do NOT want to use it at all and if there is no demand I won't need to look into it.
|comments: Leave a comment|